Essential oils are an investment in your health and well-being. Learning the dos and don’ts of storing them is just one important way to protect your wellness investment and maximize their benefits.
Dos and don’ts: How do you store essential oils?
Do keep the bottle lids on tight.
A tight lid prevents oxidation, air, or water from getting inside the bottle.
- Less contact with air allows the oil to retain its properties. Frequent and prolonged exposure to air can alter consistency, smell, and properties of the oil.
- Closing lids tightly also stops oil from evaporating.
YL tip:The plastic fitment on the bottle, which allows the oil to escape one drop at a time, also helps keep air and water out. Be sure to leave it on the bottle!
Don’t bring the heat or sunlight.
- Too much heat or sunlight can impact the quality of the oil.
- Both heat and sunlight can change the chemical composition of the oil.
- Too much heat can cause the oil to evaporate more quickly, making it less effective.
- Too much sun can deteriorate the oil.
YL tip: Keep essential oils in a closet or drawer and avoid leaving them in your car. A good rule of thumb is to keep oils in a cool, dark place.
Do care for them on the go.
If you’re anything like us, you keep your favorite oils on hand wherever you go—your car, your gym bag, your desk, and your purse. Any time is the right time for using your faves! The good news is you can preserve your oils and store them safely while traveling with a carrying case made just for your essential oils. Carry 7, 10, or even 30 oils with you wherever you go!
Don’t be afraid to make a statement.
You love your oils and you’re not afraid to show it! Display them in your home with a stylish shelving unit along with a potted plant or other chic decor element. Be sure the display doesn’t get frequent or prolonged sunlight, then let your oils take center stage!
Do get your questions answered.
Have questions about storing your oils, keeping the quality consistent over time, and getting the most out of each little bottle? Here are some frequently asked questions: